This section covers the frequently asked questions regarding UT Dallas classes, change of major, graduation, etc. If you have any specific question that is not covered on this page, email the Office of the Registrar. If you have a question related to tuition and fees, email the Bursar’s Office.

For more information on how to audit a course, please go to audit registration.

Holds or service indicators are computerized mechanisms to prevent registration or transcript processing. Some service indicators are positive in nature and will not affect your ability to register or to receive an official transcript. When you have a hold or a negative service indicator affecting your registration or official transcript processing, you need to take steps to resolve the problem. You can check your holds or service indicators online.

During registration periods, the enrollment appointment is your date and time slot you are able to registration for the term. To locate your enrollment appointment, go to your Orion Student Center, Manage My Class tile and select the appropriate term. Register for classes after your enrollment appointment begins for the term. Online registration is available until the published last day of late registration.

If you completely withdrew from the previous semester before the 20th class day, the Office of the Registrar strongly recommends that you review your academic record online, ie, update address, transfer credit from another institution. Additionally, you will need to complete and submit a re-entry form (PDF). All reentry requests for a semester must be received 10-days prior to the first day of the semester (full-term). If you have not attended UT Dallas in three long (fall and spring) semesters and you left UT Dallas on probationary status, you must apply for readmission.

You need to elect to defer your admission. To defer your admission, please complete and submit the deferment form located in Galaxy under Orion Self-Service, then, Admissions Forms Folder.

You must be formally readmitted if you have not taken any classes for three long semesters (fall and spring).

To reapply for admission:

Domestic and International students must complete a new application for admission no later than the published deadline and pay an application fee. Incomplete applications or late applications will be required to register late and pay a late registration fee.

Eligible students wishing to change their major/plan/program should review the policy listed in the Academic Catalog.

If you are completing work for a previous semester in which a grade of incomplete (I) was received (except thesis and dissertation courses), do not officially register for the course again. An incomplete course grade (grade of I) must be completed within the time period specified by the instructor, not to exceed eight weeks from the first day of the subsequent long semester. If the work is not completed within the limit, the grade will be changed to “F”. Once you have completed and submitted any outstanding work to the instructor, your grade will be brought to the Office of the Registrar by your instructor for processing. For more information see the appropriate catalog.

No more than fifteen hours of applicable non-degree credit may be transferred to a degree program at the University. However, acceptance of credit is at the discretion of the Associate Dean or program head and the University Registrar.

Students who have access to Galaxy may print end-of-semester grades from their Orion > Self Service > Student Center. To see if grades have been posted to the academic record:

  • Log in to Galaxy
  • Under Orion Self-Service, click View My Grades
  • Choose the term, using the radio button
  • Click Continue

No, semester and midterm grades can be viewed online in Galaxy.

Primary Name

For information on changing names and addresses, please see the catalog.

Preferred Name

The University recognizes that many community members use names other than their primary/legal names to identify themselves. As long as the use of this different name is not for the purpose of misrepresentation, the University acknowledges that a preferred name may be used whenever possible in the course of university business and education.

The student is free to determine the preferred name they wish to be known by in the Orion student information system; however, inappropriate use of the preferred name policy may be cause for denying the request.

The student should send email from their UT Dallas email account to to edit the preferred name.

Q: What is a preferred name? A: Preferred name is a first and or middle name that does not match your Primary/Legal name in the Orion student information system. Currently Preferred Name is defaulted to match the Primary/Legal Name in the Orion student information system.

Q: Where is preferred name displayed? A: In Orion, student preferred name is displayed in your Student Self-Service screen, and on Grade Rosters. The preferred name is also displayed on eLearning grade rosters and Comet Cards.

Q: Can I get a Comet Card issued with my preferred name? A: Yes, Comet Cards can be updated to have preferred name on front and legal name on the back.

Q: Can I get an official transcript, the commencement program, or my diploma issued with my preferred name? A: No, the official transcript, the commencement program, and diploma are issued only with the primary/legal name.

Q: I have more questions regarding preferred name, who can I contact? A: Please email your questions to A member of the Registrar’s Office staff will respond.

For information on reserving classroom space on campus, please see Special Event Room Reservations.

The “Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act” (also known as the Wetterling Act) is a federal law enacted on October 28, 2000 that provides for the tracking of convicted, registered sex offenders enrolled as students at institutions of higher education, or working or volunteering on campus.

This act amends the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 to clarify that nothing in that Act may be construed to prohibit an educational institution from disclosing information provided to the institution concerning registered sex offenders and requires the Secretary of Education to take appropriate steps to notify educational institutions that disclosure of this information is permitted. Information about registered sex offenders may be found on: